Thursday, August 21, 2008

August 21, 2008: Homer, Alaska and Kachemak Bay Boat Tour

Today we spent the morning and early afternoon on Karl Stozfus' Kachemak Bay birding trip (link). We had a great time and saw lots of cool stuff. We rode out to Gull Island to see the nesting bird colonies there, and toured around other parts of Kachemak Bay as well. Very nice trip, well worth it.

Dinner at El Pescador restaurant on the Homer Spit was pretty tasty. (location)


A Song Sparrow in the Homer Small Boat Harbor (the large "Kenai" subspecies)

Sleeping Sea Otter in the harbor

Juvenile Black-Legged Kittiwake

distant view of Homer Spit

A view of glaciers across Kachemak Bay

Red-Necked Grebes (Kachemak Bay) - photos below are also from Kachemak Bay

Common Murre
Kachemak Bay Scenery
Marbled Murrelet
We saw a Bald Eagle sitting onshore
Flying Harlequin Duck
A group of Harlequin Ducks
Nice pair of Common Loons
A juvenile Pigeon Guillemot
Another nice Kachemak Bay view
Kittlitz' Murrelet
Marbled Murrelet Tufted Puffin

Pictures from Gull Island:

Common Murre breeding colony

More bay scenery


Red-Faced Cormorant (three above)


Black-Legged Kittiwake (above two)


Common Murre nest

A more distant view of Gull Island

Many Common Murres on the rocks

More Black-Legged Kittiwakes on nest

Above and Below: Pelagic Cormorants


A variety of seabirds resting on the island

A Pigeon Guillemot swimming near Gull Island

Common Murre

Sea Otter

Another mountain view across the bay

Double-Crested Cormorants (three Cormorant species here!)

A mother Sea otter with baby!

This Bald Eagle was resting on one of the islands

One of the rocky islands in the bay


Two Black Oystercatchers (parent-above, juvenile-2nd above)

Another Bald Eagle on one of the islands

More rocky scenery in Kachemak Bay

More Bald Eagles!

A Male Harlequin Duck still in breeding plumage

Tufted Puffin with fish

Homer Seafarer's Memorial (info)

Homer Spit would be very vulnerable to a tsunami

Northwestern Crow in Mud Bay

White-Winged Crossbill near Homer Airport

Juvenile Glacuous-Winged Gull

A 'Jelly' washed up ashore at Mud Bay

THE AREA WE VISITED TODAY (KACHEMAK BAY SOUTH OF HOMER)

2 comments:

Pamela said...

awesome pics.

Anonymous said...

I found a red and prickly orange plant that was covered with mud because of the rain. Before I was told that these leaves are very poisonous and can kill you so I didn't touch it just in case, even though my brother told me it was a lie. He said he wanted to look like he knew everything, but this one looked like a dangerous plant. It was harmless though as I found out when I thought of picking this because it looked very interesting to me and I never ever saw it before in my life. This was the first time so I told everybody. This leaf was with an other bunch of leaves with it in a cluster. I knew that it didn't have any poison in it because I knew it was fall!! It was the end of my search when I knew it was a normal leaf right under a tree! How stupid was I not to realize that before going through a lot of trouble?! I was going to tell you about something else, but I said "why should I go through another bunch of trouble to do it so I posted it (I think it is extra credit)...