Wednesday, March 28, 2007

March 28, 2007: Nashville, Tennessee (Narrows of the Harpeth Park, Flight Info) (9 PHOTOS, 6 BIRD/ANIMAL)

Today I left Buffalo (early, of course, on my typical 6:20am Northwest flight), for Nashville, TN for a conference. The Buffalo-Detroit flight was delayed because of repairs to the backup fuel pump. By the time we took off, we landed in Detroit an hour late, making me miss the connection to Nashville. Luckily, Northwest was great about it and I got on another flight just over an hour later, arriving at BNA Airport around 11:15 instead of 9:45.

Since I had some free time before checking in for the conference, I headed out of town to the west, on US-70 to White Bluff. I had gotten suggestions that Carl's Perfect Pig was a great BBQ restaurant in that town. (Review) (Map). It lived up to its reputation! The pulled pork was especially good, highly reccomended! Their homemade sauce was also quite nice. During this whole trip, it was pouring rain, and heavy thunderstorms were nearby. Luckily, this cleared up, allowing me to proceed with my planned stop at Narrows of the Harpeth State Park, in nearby Cheatham County. Spent a few hours here birding and hiking around the tunnel and pond area, before heading into Nashville and the conference.

BIRDING: There was quite a bit of activity at Narrows of the Harpeth. On the drive in, an impressive number of TURKEY VULTURES roosting from the storm. Also EASTERN BLUEBIRDS and EASTERN MEADOWLARKS, and various blackbirds. In the park I found many singing NORTHERN PARULA and YELLOW-THROATED WARBLERS. Also CAROLINA WRENS, CAROLINA CHICKADEES, TUFTED TITMICE, RED-BELLIED WOODPECKERS, and DOWNY WOODPECKERS. I had a flyover BLACK VULTURE among the TURKEY VULTURES.



Two photos of a Yellow-Throated Warbler below. (Narrows of the Harpeth - there were many!)
There were also many Northern Parulas at the Narrows (not the best photo, but this is the best I got!) A bad photo of a Carolina Chickadee This Carolina Wren was building a nest in the pictured crevace of this cliff
An unidentified snake on the trail to the falls/pondThe trail leads to this falls leading out of the Narrows tunnel: A man-made tunnel constructed in 1818 connecting the Harpeth River at the narrows.




This pool is where the falls leads to This sign of spring (Virginia Blue Bells) is still more than a month off in Western New York!

FLIGHT TRACKS COURTESY FLIGHT AWARE



NARROWS OF THE HARPETH LOCATION (LOCAL.LIVE.COM)

1 comment:

Corby said...

cool your blog is very nice. I like the flight tracking and nice photos.

-Corby